Thursday, March 7, 2013

Yoga and Occupational Therapy

Over the years, I have brought yoga into my practice more and more. This is all through self-taught techniques and from what I have learned by practicing yoga myself (taking more formal courses is on my bucket list!). Nevertheless, the benefits of incorporating yoga into my pediatric practice have been wonderful.

In the school setting, I have seen whole classes filled with children with disabilities and without, all benefit from yoga groups that I have led. Teachers have been amazed at how practicing yoga improved their student's posture, motor planning and attention and focus throughout the day. This month in Advance for Occupational Therapy, there is a great article on Yoga and incorporating it into occupational therapy practice. Follow the link below and enjoy!
http://occupational-therapy.advanceweb.com/Columns/Holistic-OT/Yoga-A-Catalyst-for-Health-and-Well-Being.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment