Friday, August 9, 2013

HEALTHY ROAD TRIP? IT CAN BE DONE

Healthy and Road Trip in the same sentence, it seems rather the oxymoron! Traveling with my boys this summer, I realized that when we ran out of healthy food and snacks, there were absolutely NO options on the road that were filling and healthy. Even the so called "healthier options", when you read the ingredients, sugar content, etc., turned out to be not so healthy after all. So, what can you do? Prepare, prepare, prepare! A lot of times we try to stop a a Coop on our way somewhere for some extras, but I do have a few staples that we also pack in the bags and cooler on our trips. I ended up with 2 boys that love to eat in the car. I'm not sure where they put all the food that they eat in their little bodies, but when they are not sleeping, eating keeps them occupied! 

As much work as this all takes before we leave, it's the choice that I have made for my family. Once we are on vacation, I do let my kids live a little! We will have ice cream cones, make s'mores at the camp site and have chips and other special treats on the beach. I just think, what I can control for my family, I do most of the time. It's just a really unhealthy world out there with little to no healthy options so it's a must for us to prepare. The kids also love being a part of the cooking and baking, which makes it a great activity with many OT benefits as well!

As we head out the door this afternoon to go camping, this is what I have in my travel healthy arsenal. I've also added some extras that I am not bringing this trip, but I pack along with us at times. Another quick side note, we often times are staying in a house or cabin when we go away. This times it's a tent, but we will still be cooking our own food. It's rare we are in a hotel room for more than one night, which makes cooking while we are away easier as well! Everything listed below is also organic. I buy all organic and use all organic or local ingredients free from pesticides, gmo's, etc. All, which I believe, are contributing to the many issues in our society including: cancer, developmental delays, autism, allergies, asthma and obesity to name a few.

These require some prep work and making. I started making things on Wednesday, such as jam dots to not be so overwhelmed on Friday morning! I also make all of these food gluten free as wheat and gluten impacts my one son Henry. 


Other foods that I always have with us:
  • Pirate Booty (This trip it's corn sticks)
  • Blueberries
  • Bananas
  • Apples
  • Watermelon
  • Carrots and cucumber slices (for my older son I will let him dip them in hummus, which is packed in another small container that he can fit in his lap)
  • String beans are also a great option
  • Banana chips and peanut butter
Happy Environment :) Tips:
  • You can pack all this food in glass or bpa free plastic containers (even bpa free plastic contains some amount of bpa so limit your plastic use) instead of baggies or foil
  • There are plenty of compostable paper plate options nowadays
  • I have great plasticware from the coop that is heavy duty, and I rewash instead of throw out
  • As with the food, bring all the "equipment" that you need and can bring home and wash instead of buying things while you're out and throwing things away 
Now, a few important things to remember - Kids are kids and are not neat! Have wipes on hand, understand you will need to vacuum your car when you get home, and most likely wash the car seats! However, my kids can't handle outside foods for more than a meal or two so the prep and clean up at the end is 100% worth it all!

Enjoy these yummy treats and make them when you are not traveling as well :)


No comments:

Post a Comment